The Netherlands Minister of Health, Ernst Kuipers, announced on June 27, 2022 that the government plans to approve a protocol to permit child euthanasia in October.
The Netherlands euthanasia law currently permits euthanasia for children as young as 12, when parents or guardians consent; the Groningen Protocol permits euthanasia for disabled newborns. People over the age of 16 are considered adults and can consent to euthanasia.
Kuipers is not planning to amend the current law but to extend the Groningen Protocol children from age 1 – 12. This announcement sets a dangerous precedent. The Groningen Protocol permits euthanasia of newborns who are experiencing current or possible future suffering.
DutchNews.nl reported the following:
- Doctors have to be convinced the child’s suffering is unbearable and there is no possibility of a cure or a treatment to alleviate the pain.
- Any diagnosis has to be fully discussed with the child’s parents as well as the possibility of euthanasia, for which both parents will have to give their permission.
- Doctors will also discuss the procedure with the child in a way the child will understand and will only proceed if the child is in no way opposed to it.
- Doctors will have to consult at least one independent doctor who will evaluate if all the criteria have been met before euthanasia can take place.
- The concept is currently out to consultation. Kuipers will present the final concept in October, when he will also announce when the protocol will come into force.
The Euthanasia Prevention Coalition urges you to sign this petition to Prime Minister Rutte and Minister of Health Kuipers opposing child euthanasia.
We oppose killing children by euthanasia and we challenge the Netherlands government who are avoiding controversy by not amending the law but promulgating a protocol that permits killing children. Democracy requires open debate, especially on controversial issues.
Sign the Petition: https://citizengo.org/en/node/208603fbclid=IwAR1E1yZDdw_Vk4mmtIaXUdVHxzgFH4pGvk49jW8BDlpX5JPKaKCO7LNy1Dc&fs=e&s=cl
Categories: Church Life
Reblogged this on Kingdom Pastor and commented:
First it was the right to abortion that some insisted was a guaranteed right. Now we see coming out of the acceptance of abortion as a right, the eunthanasia of children is acceptable in The Netherlands! Lord, have mercy on us!
LikeLiked by 1 person